Sunday, March 09, 2008

One more to go!

Finally......I have had my last 'big chemo'. Not without a little bit of drama. The special picc line that was put into my arm through which I had all my treatments sprung a leak last week after the treatment. Well that's when it was noticed. This is a line that was in a major artery and meant that there wasn't a desperate search for good veins to administer the drugs every week.
Only two treatments to go. Can it be done without having to go to Malvern Cabrini and having another picc line inserted? After the Oncology nurses consulted my doctor they decided I needed to come in to Brighton and soak in hot water for a about 20mts. Well, not the whole of me, just my arms. And....the decision was they were sort of comfortable that I had one good vein to take the last big chemo.
Fortunately it all went well.......and I had the big one last week. Stayed overnight, hopefully for the last time.
Now, feeling yuckie and exhausted I am mentally impatient. One more of the lesser treatments and then I will finally be finished.
How amazing is that? Next week.......in 5 days.....I will have my final treatment.
Well, sort of. Because I have to go back and have that particular treatment once every eight weeks for two years. But.....this one is not severe and won't make me feel as sick as I do now.
Once my body starts to recover and I get stronger, this treatment will not have any where near as much impact as it does at the moment.
My hair will start to grow back....one day. Wonder what it will look like? I know it's going to be white.......I can see that in what is poking out at the moment. So, I'm going to stay that colour and eventually have some foils or something put in. But...because I won't be allowed to use any chemicals on it for a while I am just going to have to happy to have hair....no matter what colour!!!!
So, right now, all I can think of is the future. And my head buzzes with things.........Things that I value so much now, things that I want to do, things that I want to see...lots and lots of things.
How blessed I am that I can look forward with hope and happiness.
I have met a lot of special people in the Oncology Ward. I have shared rooms with the bravest and most positive people. I have been touched by their stories and have been comforted by their strengths.

3 comments:

kazy2004 said...

Oh Anna, that is soo exciting, new it would come around before we all could say chemo, LOL. Hoping this feeling crap passes quicly and then I owe you a big cup of coffee.

Hugs, Karen

Dawn Stan said...

Anna, such great news that you are nearly finished. I was so excited on my last chemo and the nurses were amazed. I found the mental side of things worse than the physical side effects towards the end. I just drew strength from my friends and family.

Big hugs.

Alison said...

Well done Anna, thinking of you all the time. Hope you have those creative juices flowing soon.

Love Alison