Thursday, February 21, 2008

Medically Speaking.....

My darling daughter Andrea has a challenge on her hands. Being a single Mum with three gorgeous children...she has just had confirmed that our beautiful little grandaughter Sahn has autism. She falls within the ranges of autism, however, if she can be taught to speak within the next 6 months she may just slip through that window of opportunity. The only word she says regularly is 'ta!'. When she gives you something, or wants something. She has just started at the early childhood intervention at Yooralla, once a week, and they have a speech therapist there. Hopefully and with much prayer our beautiful little girl can learn to speak.
Of course that is not the only behaviour etc., that puts her in the autism classification. She has other difficulties as well, but they are not too bad and again hopefully with help be modified.
It's all been overwhelming for poor Andrea and she needs lots of our support and help.
One of the main reasons I am doing serious thinking about returning to work, or not. Apart from my own health of course.

This week has been a medical week! Every day I have had to do something with Doctors. Monday needed to see my GP. Nice to catch up with him and have a little chat about some things that I was still concerned about to do with his handling of my situation way back in October. We had a good chat and I feel confident now that he did what he thought was the best.
Tuesday was my PET Scan at Monash Moorabbin. I was there for four hours. It was 7pm when I got home absolutely exhausted.
Wednesday was a blood test at Cabrini Brighton, a Chiro treatment at my work (yes...they are still holding a position for me if/when I am ready!! And I still get free treatment!!), then a CT Scan back at Moorabbin Monash. Not much time to sit and do nothing, like have a rest!!!
Today....it's back to Cabrini Brighton for one of the 'big' chemo treatments and overnight stay.
I am so over hospitals, doctors, tests, needles and anything else to do with 'medical'.
Yes, I am nervous what the results of my scans will be. Even though the tumour in my neck is basically gone I have no idea what's happening internally.
I am also still concerned about the 'something' that was in my large bowel and was seen with my first tests....recommending a colonoscopy.
I am not sure if I will get any results when i see Gary Richardson today...or if that's too soon and I have to wait until next week.
Again, this week I've had some lovely cards......from Robyn of course (no.12) and Jenny my very very good friend who now lives in Tasmania. We used to play basketball together at Albert Park and knew eachother through Church as well. She used to live in White Street but when her husband Malcolm retired he wanted to live somewhere where he could go birdwatching. So they packed up and moved to Tassie.
Jenny has always been such an inspiration to me. She is a wonderful seamstress. She can see any design and make the pattern, cut the fabric and sew the garment(s). She has made some absolutely wonderful clothes and used to be in the highest demand for wedding dresses. She's always encouraged the 'creative' side in me. I love writing to her. She doesn't 'do' emails....so it's snail mail and you know, it's fun getting letters in the mail.
Also had a sweet letter from Nayla...just to say she misses me. She is my children's age, with three lively boys of her own. Nice that I am missed around the place!!!

No comments: