Thursday, February 14, 2008

I have had a 'busy' week so far. I am supposed to be uncomplicating my life, but it seems there is always something that needs to be done or visitors.
I went to Southland with Andrea, Sahn and Orson to buy a present for my sisters birthday so I could post it in time to arrive tomorrow. Had fun, and spent way too much money on other things besides. I can't be let loose in shops because I want to buy way too many things.
My good friends Jean & George came for a visit yesterday afternoon. I have known them for over 30 years and just really enjoy having revived our friendships.
Today, my eldest sister came for a visit with her youngest daughter and two granddaughters. Erna lives in Brisbane and I havn't seen her since our Mum's funeral four years ago. She's getting a bit older now........(of course I'm not!!) but still as bright and bubbly as always. Emma, my niece is such a sweet girl and her two little daughters are adorable. Madeline is two and Hannah is 5 weeks old. We're going to stay in touch more....she only lives about 7ks from here.
Poor Robyn Baker (my dear, dear friend) is still making a card each week to help me count the weeks...and because of the delay in treatment she is making way more cards than she first thought. She is so lovely and I so enjoy receiving her cards, as I do receiving everyone's. I have a huge collection of cards and drawings from my grandchildren and great-nieces. I am keeping them all!!!
I actually started some work on my journal. I have the first page almost done!!! I can't believe how much I've actually written to document this journey. And reading the first page going back to September 26th when I discovered a lump in my neck, was quite an emotional experience because I had forgotten how scared I was then. How confused I was....and now looking back with what I know has happened since then.......it's quite an experience.
I was really touched this week. A memorable week in our Federal Parliament with our newly elected Prime Minister say 'sorry' to the stolen generations of aboriginal children and families.
It made me think a lot about saying sorry, and if that apology is accepted or not.
I could see that all over Australia aboriginal people accepted the apologies with dignity and a great desire to now move forward.
It, unfortunately I guess, made me reflect on things that happened in my life last year. Some of which I am not proud of. However, I have apologised several times and in different ways.........and apart from one person....my apologies have never been accepted. It made me sad. Not sad to go back but sad that after many years I am not welcome anymore in a place that I really loved. And that I am only remembered for some mistakes I made and not for anything I may have contributed.
Anyhow......it was just something that I thought was an interesting parallel to draw.
Time to get dinner heated up.

1 comment:

kazy2004 said...

Hi dear , sweet Anna,
I have finally found your blog after I lost all data on my computer, and what a shcok to find out your news. But I have been catching uo on your journey on and off all day, and you are an inspiration. Your chirpy nature and positive attitude is what will keep you strong (as well as your awesome family) and you will come out bolder, stronger and brighter at the other end. I would love to have a coffee with you, when you are not feeling too tired.
Best wishes to you
Kind Regards Karen Yates.

P.S life is too short to hold grudges isn't it. For people to always reflect on negative things only makes life even more sad and miserable.