Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Silent Prayers

On Saturday I posted on my blog that I was over the heat. I had had enough! It was literally about me, and that I was uncomfortable.
That very same day a tradgedy on a scale never before seen in Victoria was unfolding. My post now appears so selfish and trivial as literally thousand of my fellow Victorians were fighting for their lives. Many didn't make it. Close to 200 people have perished and the police are still counting. Families with nothing left in the whole world but what they are wearing. People searching for family and friends. News stories that some people may never be identified.
The list goes on.
My heart and prayers go out to all of the victims of Saturday 7th February and beyond. And will do whatever is asked of us as a community to contribute to their needs and welfare.
And all the hundreds of volunteers, firefighters and others who are tirelessly still fighting these horrific fires my prayers and gratitude are with you all.

On Monday colin and I went to Shepparton to the canning factories. The Hume Highway was open and as we drove through the Kilmore area everything around us was a wasteland of ash. On both sides of the road for kilometre after kilometre. Dead animals on the side of the road. Charred remains of homes. Homes where the fire had come right to their door....but their homes were stilll there. A terrifying and emotional journey. As we were driving we were listening to 774 on the radio with the constant reporting of the devastation that was unfolding and we were humbled to silence.
What can we say?? As Kevin Rudd in an emotional interview said......there are no words. Just silent prayers.

No comments: